The undergraduate bioengineering program is line up with the Kingdom’s Vision 2030 planned goals to support its economy by generating revenues from non-oil sectors and to develop its global status by utilizing its considerable potential in the emerging scientific arenas. The interdisciplinary environment in KFUPM is favorable for the development of bioengineering program that is a research motivated discipline. In the long run, it will play a leading role in providing commercialization opportunities for its graduates in line with entrepreneurial spirits. Moreover, the bioengineering program will facilitate the expansion of KFUPM's core expertise into new fields such as Biosensors, Biomedical Instrumentation, Biotechnology, and Bioinformatics. The new BS program in bioengineering is the first of its kind in Saudi Arabia and its graduates will be able to find out answers to some of the contemporary significant problems including the design of medical devices, diagnostic equipment’s, biocompatible materials, biosensors, and other areas that can improve the living standards of human being.
The mission of bioengineering program is “to provide high quality education, innovation, and training to graduate bioengineers and prepare them for higher education, professional careers and leadership”.
Program Educational Objectives
After graduation, the BIOE graduates will be able to:
- Progress their career in industries of biotechnology, health care equipment and technology, life science tools, and pharmaceuticals.
- Integrate their knowledge with bioengineering practice, innovation and technology development.
- Pursue a graduate degree in bioengineering or other related fields.
- Pursue leadership roles in industry, business, and government agencies.
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
|CHEM 101||Principles of Chemical Science I||3||3||4|
|ENGL 101||Introduction to Academic Discourse||3||0||3|
|MATH 101||Calculus I||4||0||4|
|PE 101||Health & Physical Education I||0||2||1|
|PHYS 101||General Physics I||3||3||4|
|BIOE 201||Biology for Engineers||3||0||3|
|BIOE 202||Biology for Engineers Lab||0||3||1|
|MATH 201||Calculus III||3||0||3|
|ICS 104||Introduction to Programming in Python and C||2||3||3|
|IAS 121||Language Foundation||2||0||2|
|EE 236||Electronic Circuits (Non-EE students)||3||0||3|
|EE 237||Electronic Circuits Lab (Non-EE students)||0||3||1|
|BIOE 211||Fundamentals of Bioengineering||3||0||3|
|COE 202||Digital Logic Design||3||0||3|
|COE 203||Digital Logic Laboratory||0||3||1|
|MATH 208||Introduction to Differential Equations & Linear Algebra||3||0||3|
|CHEM 201||Organic Chemistry I||3||0||3|
|ENGL 214||Academic & Professional Communication||3||0||3|
|BIOE 303||Cell Biology||3||0||3|
|BIOE 337||Applied Physiology||3||0||3|
|BIOE 312||Bioinstrumentation lab||0||3||1|
|BIOE 316||Ethics and Safety in Bioengineering||1||0||1|
|STAT 319||Probability and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists||2||3||3|
|ISE 291||Introduction to Data Science||3||0||3|
|IAS 212||Ethics and Governance||2||0||2|
|CGS 392||Career Essentials||0||2||1|
|BIOE 320||Molecular Biology||3||0||3|
|BIOE 321||Cell and Molecular Biology Lab||0||1||1|
|BIOE 355||Biomimicry Design and Modeling Lab||0||3||1|
|BIOE 370||Bioengineering Thermodynamics||3||0||3|
|BUS 200||Business & Entrepreneurship||3||0||3|
|COE 292||Introduction to Artificial Intelligence||3||0||3|
|IAS xxx||Islamic/Arabic Elective||2||0||2|
|BIOE 399||Summer Training||0||0||0|
|BIOE 440||Molecular Biotechnology||3||0||3|
|BIOE 455||Transport Phenomenon in Bioengineering||3||0||3|
|BIOE 4XX||BIOE Elective I||3||0||3|
|XE xxx||Engineering Elective||3||0||3|
|GS xxx||GS Elective||3||0||3|
Every student of Bachelor of Science in Bioengineering - Summer Training Option program must complete the following curriculum:
|English||ENGL 101, 102, 214||9|
|Islamic & Arabic Studies||IAS 111, 121, 212, xxx||8|
|Global Studies||GS xxx||3|
|Career Essentials||CGS 392||1|
|Physical Education||PE 101||1|
|Total Credit Hours 22|
|Intro. to Programm. in Python & C||ICS 104||3|
|Introduction to Data Science||ISE 291||3|
|Intro. to Artificial Intelligence||COE 292||3|
|Business & Entrepreneurship||BUS 200||3|
|Total Credit Hours 12|
|Math||M A T H 101, 102, 201, 208, STAT 319||17|
|Physics||PHYS 101, 102||8|
|Chemistry||CHEM 101, 102, 201||11|
|Total Credit Hours 36|
|Electronic Circuits Lab||EE 237||1|
|Digital Logic Circuit Design||COE 202||3|
|Digital Logic Design Lab||COE 203||1|
|Electronic Circuits||EE 236||3|
|Total Credit Hours 8|
|Biology for Engineers Lab||BIOE 202||1|
|Fundamentals of Bioengineering||BIOE 211||3|
|Cell Biology||BIOE 303||3|
|Applied Physiology||BIOE 337||3|
|Bioinstrumentation Lab||BIOE 312||1|
|Ethics and Safety in Bioengineering||BIOE 316||1|
|Molecular Biology||BIOE 320||3|
|Cell and Molecular Biology lab||BIOE 321||1|
|Biomimicry Modelling and Design Lab||BIOE 355||1|
|Bioengineering Thermodynamics||BIOE 370||3|
|Senior Design Project||BIOE 412||3|
|Molecular Biotechnology||BIOE 440||3|
|Transport Phenomena in Bioengineering||BIOE 455||3|
|Biology for Engineers||BIOE 201||3|
|Total Credit Hours 38|
|BIOE Elective II||BIOE 4xx||3|
|Engineering Elective||XE xxx||3|
|Technical Elective||XX xxx||3|
|BIOE Elective I||BIOE 4xx||3|
|Total Credit Hours 12|
|Summer Training||BIOE 399||1|
|Total Credit Hours 1|